Episode #34 Pirates, Public History, and PIRATES! with Jamie Goodall
Jamie Goodall gives us a ton of insight about public history...and then we talk about pirates. Because pirates. Seriously...if you thought pirates were cool before, this show will only reassure you.
- The current state of, and the future of public history
- The Atlantic World and the intersection with the traditional American narrative
- Why we find pirates so fascinating and the reflections of historical pirates in modern popular culture
- Subterfuge and personal branding (for pirates, of course)
- Rum (and other adult beverages) and the Atlantic World
- Movies...I mean....
Get this, Jamie is currently working on two (2) books (how does she do it?) and we will keep up to date by checking back at her website. In the meantime, Jamie recommends that we have a look at a couple of others...Chaos by Patricia Cornwell and Slavery at Sea: Terror, Sex, and Sickness in the Middle Passage by Sowande M. Mustakeem. We also talk a bit about the film The Final Days, a 2005 film by Sophie Scholl about Nazi resistance in WWII era Germany. Like I always say, you never know what will come up on this show!!