How cool is this? Super cool. Listen peeps – banjo music makes me smile. So I am really happy to have Dusty on my show. Dusty is a first-rate banjo player and a great guy too. And he knows his shit when it comes to history, too. We get down to business about some of the old stuff and have some laughs about a interpretive take on a modern song…
- The origins of minstrel banjo style
- Tracing the instrument back to Africa and its use by slaves on plantations
- Changes in playing styles in the nineteenth century
- Banjo music and national identity
- The social media revolution
It turns out, Dusty is something of a Civil War guy – so we talked about one of our favorite films and a few important books: Company Aytch by Sam Watkins and Hardtack and Coffee by John D. Billings. What’s more – Dusty has some great advice for aspiring musicians out there…so you had better pay attention!
Music by Advent Chamber Orchestra is licensed under Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/